First-Ever Excavation of Nazi Death Camp Treblinka Reveals Horrors

The first-ever archaeological excavations at the Nazi death camp Treblinka have revealed new mass graves, as well as the first physical evidence that this camp held gas chambers, where thousands of Jews died.  Presented in a new documentary, “Treblinka: Hitler’s Killing Machine,” which will air Saturday (March 29) on the Smithsonian Channel, the excavations reveal that the Nazis weren’t as adept at covering up their crimes as they believed when they razed the death camp in 1943. Brick walls and foundations from the gas chambers remain, as do massive amounts of human bone, including fragments now eroding out on the forested ground surface.

Continue reading.

Nigerian wedding party in Borno State massacred by gunmen

Nigeria gunman

Gunmen in north-eastern Nigeria have killed more than 30 people in a attack on a wedding convoy.  It happened on a notoriously dangerous stretch of road between Bama and Banki in Borno State, east of the regional capital Maiduguri.  The groom was reportedly amongst the victims.  The Islamist militant group Boko Haram has carried out frequent attacks in the area despite a state of emergency declared in north-east Nigeria in May.  Thousands of additional troops have been sent there to fight Boko Haram – which had been fighting to create an Islamic state since 2009. However attacks on civilians have continued.  A week ago dozens of people were killed during a lengthy gunfight after suspected militants attacked the town of Damaturu, burning police and military buildings.  A motorist who saw the bodies told AFP news agency that many of the victims appeared to have suffered gunshot wounds.  “All the victims were brutally murdered by the attackers,” said the driver, who did not wish to be named.

Continue reading.

Gunman told police he acted alone in LAX shooting

LOS ANGELES —The 23-year-old charged as the gunman in the deadly shooting at Los Angeles International Airport told authorities at the scene that he acted alone and had been dropped off by a friend, a law enforcement official who has been briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press on Sunday.  Authorities do not believe the friend knew that Paul Ciancia, the man charged in the attack, planned to open fire inside LAX’s Terminal 3 just moments later, killing one Transportation Security Administration officer and wounding three other people, including two more TSA workers, said the official, who is not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation and requested anonymity.  Ciancia was dropped off in a black Hyundai and was not a ticketed passenger. He was able to respond to investigators’ questions at the scene Friday, the official told the AP exclusively.

Continue reading.

Iraq: 52 Massacred in Camp for Iranian Opposition Group

A UN team visited a camp housing Iranian exiles north of the Iraqi capital as investigators tried to establish who massacred 52 members of the anti-Tehran group. The slaughtering of the members of the People’s Mujahedeen Organization of Iran (PMOI), which was confirmed by a senior Iraqi security officer, was met with international condemnation.  The UN and Western governments have been careful not to assign blame amid wildly conflicting reports.  Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki set up an inquiry in the aftermath of the deaths, with findings due in the coming days, and a UN team visited the camp in Diyala province near the border with Iran to try to establish what happened.

Continue reading.

Military Jury Convicts Army Psychiatrist on All 45 Counts in Fort Hood Rampage

KILLEEN, Tex. — A military jury on Friday found Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan guilty of carrying out the largest mass murder at a military installation in American history.   The verdict, delivered by 13 senior Army officers, came 17 days after Major Hasan’s court-martial trial began on Aug. 6, and nearly four years after the day in November 2009 that he killed or wounded dozens of unarmed soldiers at a medical deployment center at Fort Hood here.  Major Hasan, a psychiatrist who turned on the very soldiers he devoted much of his 15-year military career to helping, sat in a wheelchair in combat fatigues, an American flag patch on his upper right sleeve. Inside a Fort Hood courtroom filled with soldiers, military police and the relatives of those he killed, but none of his own family members, he had no visible reaction and sat motionless as the jury foreman, a female Army colonel, stood and read the unanimous verdict.

Continue reading.

Colorado theatre shooting suspect James Holmes enters insanity plea

James Holmes, the man accused of massacring 12 people in a Colorado cinema, has been allowed by a judge to plead not guilty by reason of insanity.  The decision means the 25-year-old will undergo months of mental evaluations but will still face trial and could eventually be executed.  Jurors will be asked to weigh evidence of Holmes’s mental state and could press ahead with the death penalty if they do not accept he was insane at the time of the shootings.

Continue reading.